Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Screw this chronological BS!!!

Else, I'll never get anything posted. Hokay so, its October 20th and today is the first day I wore shorts - Spring is here! The sun was up, the sky was blue, it was beautiful, and so were the Roos - err something like that, heh. I've only had a short break between warm seasons coming from the end of Texas summer to the tail end of Aussie winter, which is mild and never dipped below freezing, but I am a man who likes his hot sun, wiping sweat off his brow, and prefers to be half naked to bundled up in a parka. So, to start the day off right, I made some breakfast tacos and a cup of tea, took a shower, and hit the park with my new housemate, Sam. First, we grabbed a cup of coffee at Dench, a fabulous bakery/cafe around the corner from my new digs, and also where my friend and fellow bike nut, Louise, works. We tossed the ole 'bee around Edinburgh Gardens for an hour or so, I showed him a few things to help improve his throw, and he found frisbee to come quite naturally. He also found that he was a freaking magnet that day for loose change, as he discovered $6.25 in the park! That's almost enough for two meat pies! Sam was going to take me to a good pie shop after frisbeing (sp? well, I like that so I'm officially making that the new participle verb form), but after laying in the sun at the park said frisbee session, we opted for water back at the house and I chose to eat my groceries while Sam went downtown for Japanese. I made a fantastic Moroccan Sweet potato, carrot, and chick pea soup last night, and by last night I mean I started at about 8:30pm and didn't finish clean up until 11:30pm - it was a good late night dinner anyhow. I fetched a fresh loaf of sour dough from the local IGA, because it's cheaper than Dench and I'm still broke at the moment (I'll address this issue in a moment), and made myself a tuna sandwich to go with a bowl of my soup. Making tuna sandwiches with the right spices, i.e. dill weed, cayenne, and some pepper, is something my mother taught me, but nearly every time I make a tuna sandwich I think back to my Denton, TX days when I attended UNT and lived with my best mate, Bryan. We'd always have tuna and ramen noodles on hand, classic cheap college cuisine; I'd whip up a couple tuna sandwiches for Bryan and me when we were chilling in our apartment playing Onimusha 1, 2, 3, 4, Soul Calibur II and III, or Dynasty Warriors. Then, mid-semester, Bryan had to move out of our apartment, something about rent being too expensive, and I went to the cupboard to get the dill weed for my tuna and there I found a note scribbled by what looked like a 3rd, maybe 5th grader, on a paper towel that read, "Your dill weed has been taken by the Spice Pirate, you lose 20 spice points." I was struck both with hysterical laughter, and with horror that I couldn't have any dill weed in my tuna. It still makes me laugh, and I always look over my shoulder when I go for the dill weed looking around for the Dread Spice Pirate!!!
I digress, as I mentioned earlier, I am broke, but only momentarily so, because I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!! I am going to be a waiter at this cute little cafe in the middle of this park in west Melbourne. It's called Oliver's Garden and it overlooks a pond and is near a little play ground, so it's frequented mostly by parents with their children, and the elderly out for a stroll in the park. Tomorrow, I'm going in for a few hours to help out with the dishes, learn more of the day-to-day and learn the new register system that was just installed today. The cafe has apparently been around for a couple decades, but has just come under new management in the last 6 weeks, so everyone is new, as is the menu, so I feel better coming into a new establishment where everyone is learning the ropes rather than having to try to find my place with people who have been there for ten years. Since I arrived in Melbourne, a month and a half ago now, I have been worrying too much about money and jobs, stressing and not having as much fun as I should be having down under! In the last week or so, I've been doing meditation and clearing my mind of negative thoughts and I've been in a much better state of mind, and voila! I've got a job! I also am hoping to get another cafe position located in a community gardens. Like Oliver's Garden, it would be a great environment in which to work. And there's also a coop bike shop there that's open on the weekends, so that'd be super rad as well!
Alright, well that's all I got for now, hopefully I can get these posts flowing a bit more regularly, and I'll get around to my past experiences when I can.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment